HOUSES MUST GO Bob Reiss, from the Re-Echo, Summer 2004
With the development of the Minnesota Rubber property, two
of the oldest houses in St. Louis Park will be lost.
There are four located on this property on Oxford Street.
Two of these houses are post WWII, but two were even older
and built about 1890. They are typical of the two
story houses built in St. Louis Park at that time by T.B.
Walker to house the workers at the Monitor Drill and other
industries in the early1890s.
For years, one house was the home of the Downing family who
moved there in 1903. Frank Downing worked at the
Monitor Drill as a tool and die maker. The house then
became the home of the Felber family. Wes Felber was
the depot agent for the St. Louis Railroad. In the
letter written for the Historical Society's book Something
in the Water, Florence Felber talked about the family's
involvement in the running of the depot and how easy it was
for her to run out the back door and be at Lincoln School.
This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.