The Fox Farm is an intriguing part of St. Louis Park
History, but there are many unanswered questions, so we hope
you will contact us if you have any clarifications,
corrections, or additions.
St. Louis Park was the site of the United States Silver Fox
Farm, " breeders of the Roosevelt Strain of Mormon Fox." The
farm was established sometime in the early 1920s, and was
removed at the end of the 1930s. We are not sure exactly
where the fox farm was. There are two different but
adjoining parcels, both facing Wayzata Blvd., on either side
of Texas Ave.
A 1926 map shows that the Silver Fox Producer Assn. owned 80
acres, directly north of the Westwood Hills Golf Course,
south of Wayzata Blvd, west of Texas. However, most of this
site is now Westwood Lake and the northern end of Westwood
Hills Environmental Education Center, so we scratch our
heads. We do know that at one point the lake was drained by
ditch to Bassett Creek. The map may not be 100 percent
accurate; while Minnetonka Blvd. is labeled as such, Cedar
Lake Road is labeled Cedar Lake Road OR Minnetonka Blvd.
A May 1931 Village planning map reiterated that the Fox Farm
was located between Flag and Texas, and Wayzata Blvd. and
15th Street, which would be in the same general area. (There
is no 15th Street today.)
WAYZATA AND LOUISIANA
We have eyewitnesses who will testify that there was
definitely a Fox Farm at the southwest corner of the
intersection of what is now Louisiana and Highway 394.
In August 1927, Dr. George Young moved his radio antenna for
station WDGY to the Silver Fox Farm, described as Superior
Boulevard and Falvey Crossroad (7401 Wayzata Blvd. at
Louisiana.) So far we have no pictures of the tower or
building, which was abandoned in 1949.
The 1926 map shows 19 acres at that area belonging to George
L. Maddan, a name we don’t know.
The 1933 directory lists United Fur Ranches located at
Louisiana and Wayzata Blvd. The farm could be seen from
Louisiana, at the top of a hill that sloped up to the south.
Later directories list it as 14th Street and Louisiana.
An undated photo captioned "A Birdseye View of U.S. Silver
Fox Farm of Minneapolis" shows a large circle of pens (with
foxes drawn into them) surrounding a three-story, tower-like
building. Village Council minutes show that neighbors on the
North Side complained about the fox farm, particularly about
the noise from gunshots - not gunshots to kill the foxes,
but to kill horses used to feed the foxes. [A reliable
source says that this is unlikely - there were very few
people living up there, and those who were there did a lot
of hunting, so gunshots would have been prevalent.] The
Village Council found that the company was committing a
nuisance by their slaughtering of animals, and the recorder
wrote a letter saying as much. The subsequent ordinance,
passed in 1931, provides other hints at the goings-on, by
requiring that the animals be properly fed and otherwise
cared for. More complaints ensued in 1933, and a Mr. Harvey
of the farm was brought before the Council and promised to
move the farm as soon as he could afford to, it being the
Depression and all. Based on the directories, it was
apparently gone by 1939. See more at
This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.