BROOKSIDE SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT Bob Reiss, from the Re-Echo, Summer 2004
On July 7, 2004, the St. Louis Park Planning Commission
approved a zoning change that permitted the Foundation
Development and Master Development Group to purchase the
Brookside School property from the St. Louis Park School
District and develop the property with condominiums and town
Brookside School is the alma mater of thousands of St. Louis
Park kids. It was built as a four room building in
1921. In 1926, four more classrooms were added, along
with a basement, kindergarten and combination
gym/auditorium. 12 more classrooms were added in 1949.
The School was closed as an elementary school in 1975 and
opened as a community educational center. since that
time, it has been leased to the Minneapolis School District
and has been the home of STEP food shelf and Montessori
School. The last two will now have to find new
The existing school building will be renovated into 27 to 30
condominium units. Two additional buildings will be
added for the town homes. One building will be built
along Webster Ave. and the other will be built in the
playground south of the main building on Vernon Ave. for a
total of 14 units.
The development will bring new life to a St. Louis Park
This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.