About the Historical Society
Research Resources
Brookside Timeline
Something in the Water
The Re-Echo
Contact Us


As the sons of the Park went off to war as soon as they were able, the rest of the Village did their best to conserve resources and raise money.  Any additional stories are surely appreciated; please contact us.  Also see Park in Times of War



Countless men and women from St. Louis Park served in the armed forces or in war-related industries during the war. 


Draft Board Local 423 was located in Hopkins, although Park men registered at registration points in town. On Valentine's Day 1942, 737 men between ages 20 and 40 registered for duty at the Village Hall. It was the third group of registrants in the Park. The fourth registration yielded a "disappointing" 120 men, all age 20. Future registrations would call 19 year olds, then 18.



The St. Louis Park Commodity Allocation Board "For Tires, Tubes, Autos, Sugar, Etc., Ration Board No. 27-4" was chaired by S. Earl Ainsworth; the other members were Lydia Rogers and Willis H. Richardson.  Below is a ration book from 1943.



Scores of citizens were saving on rubber by riding bicycles; in July 1942, over 400 bicycle licenses had been issued.

The St. Louis Park Red Cross was headed by Production Chairman Mrs. G. Andrus, and taught surgical dressing classes at the American Legion Hall.

The "boys" at Republic Creosoting worked an extra half day on a Saturday in 1942, donating their pay to the Red Cross. The effort yielded $367.46.

 At the Triangle across from Brookside Drug, behind the gas station, was the local scrap metal depository, which also, for some reason, collected balls of string. Throughout the Park, 300 tons of scrap were collected during a national drive. A message from Mayor Martin in October 1942 thanked everyone who participated in the scrap drive, but added,

It is quite regrettable that one automobile driver had to be apprehended and made to unload scrap from his car after taking it from the stock pile. Evidently he misconstrued the purpose of the drive. Let it be known that anyone tampering with these stock piles will be properly dealt with.

On September 11, 1942, Minneapolis held its first blackout, which lasted half an hour.


Also in 1942 over 700 Park citizens attended a civil defense rally, and air raid wardens and first aid workers were given their instructions.


In January 1943 the Echo reported that the U of M offered accelerated courses for girls in order to fill manpower shortages.  Courses included:

  • Journalism - 2 years
  • Technical - Xray, radio, electronics, Army Signal Corpos, technical research - 1 year
  • Social Work - 2 years
  • Statistical - personal, business, psychology, sociology - 1 year
  • Office - typing, shorthand, accounting - 1 year

In May 1943 Minnesota staged a "semi-surprise" blackout test. For 30 minutes, somewhere between 9 and 11 pm., every light in Minnesota was to be extinguished, except those necessary for war industries. The test was to be initiated by steady blasts of sirens and whistles and by turning out the streetlights. Radio stations would announce the "all clear." R.W. Hollander, Chairman, Hennepin County Civilian Defense, warned:

It is a deadly serious test to prepare all civilians and civil authorities for prompt and efficient action if and when enemy bombers should appear over this area. Military authorities recently have stated the Twin Cities and Detroit areas are more likely to be attacked than either the East or West coast. It is the duty of every citizen to be prepared.

While only $45,000 of the $60,000 goal was raised in the first bond drive, the second drive promised that if the Park buys $125,000 in bonds, a bomber would be named after the Village. The response was so great that the ante went up to $175,000, and the total amount raised was $220,000. Sure enough, the "Spirit of St. Louis Park" Mitchell bomber was produced.

Park students conducted a "soap for soldiers" campaign and collected 750 bars of soap.


In 1944 the staff of the Echowan cited a shortage of film and asked students to bring in their snapshots for the yearbook.



The 1945 directory provides a photo of the Honor Roll that was erected, listing the names of all who served in the War from Park.  Eventually it was damaged by fire and not replaced - perhaps because people wanted to move on and not be reminded of this dark time.



The May 15, 1945, Echo reported that 2,675 decks of playing cards were collected, presumably for servicemen still waiting to come home.


The June 9, 1945, issue of the SLP Spectator reported that plans were made to assist returning servicemen in their readjustment to civilian life.  Mayor O.B. Erickson and representatives of the American Legion and the War Dads established committees on education, finance, and rehabilitation to aid the veterans. 

Twenty emergency housing units for veterans housing were allotted to the Park in May 1946. 

Postwar organizations listed in the 1946 Directory included:

The War Dads of St. Louis Park met at the Village Hall. Officers were Herman J. Bolmgren, Jake A. Werner, and Lew Conley.

American War Mothers, Donald Johnson Chapter was chartered on August 23, 1946 with 14 members. The purpose of the group, the ninth such group in Minnesota, was to providing aid to Veterans' Hospitals by making items for the patients and helping out at the hospital. They also had a goal of have a war mother present at the peace tables of WWII. Membership was limited to the "blood mothers of sons and daughters in service." President was Mrs. Mary Johnson, whose son, an AAF tail gunner, died in a B-24 over Dortmund Germany on January 28th, 1945. The group was active until at least 1958, selling carnations to raise money for disabled and hospitalized veterans.

The International Sunshine Society worked "in the Veterans' Hospital and the University Hospital, made layettes and remembered patients in hospitals at holiday time and on birthdays." President was Mrs. C.H. Dahl.

Gold Star War Kin, a nationwide organization, was founded in 1945 by Morton Arneson and Harry R. Bates. The statewide meeting was held on November 6, 1945.


Jewish War Veterans of St. Louis Park


For memoirs written by men from St. Louis Park who served during the war, see the last chapter of Something in the Water.



Plaque placed by the American Legion on May 30, 1949, on rock located near the Veterans' Memorial Amphitheater in Wolfe Park.




This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.