Elmer Whipps was a barber by trade, but
he also served as a Village constable and was a jailer for
We see from Village Council Minutes that from at least 1913
to 1916 he was associated with Doc
Brown, as both their names were on licenses to run three
pool tables and sell cigarettes.
In 1917, however, he apparently went into business with
Dutch Reider, who at that time
owned the Waiting Station (later
Reiss’s). Through at least 1920, Reider and Whipps were
issued licenses for pool and cigarettes.
When Doc Brown retired in the early 1940’s, Whipps took over
the barber chair, although the pool tables and tobacco shop
Elmer’s wife Florence came to St. Louis Park in 1922 and
lived at 3333 Dakota Ave. She worked at
Skippy Peanut Butter
in 1952. She died on March 1, 1993 at the age of 92.
The family lived on Dakota Street on the north side of the
Dan Patch Tracks. In 1930 his address was given as
3337 Dakota - this may be where the High School is today.
Florence and Elmer’s children include:
Elmer “Bucky” Whipps was born on November 19, 1918, went to
elementary school at Lenox, and graduated from Park in 1942.
He died on December 18, 2000 in Jordan, Minnesota.
Martha “Joyce” Whipps
Dorothy J. Whipps went to elementary school at Lenox and
graduated from Park in 1940. She married Cronin and had a
daughter Judy. She died in January 2005 at age 82.
For more information see Liquor in