Much of the following information came from newspaper
clippings and information provided by Mark Toretsky, who
microfilm to find dates and names of stores. Thanks,
Mark, for these articles and others about the North Side in
Wallace T. Bruce was the developer of the Westwood Shopping
Center, both east and west of Louisiana Ave. In
addition, he built two large apartment complexes west of
Louisiana, initially called Westwood Garden and Westwood
Garden South, on land that had belonged to Landers Nordblom
Christenson Sand and Gravel Co. Bruce started building homes in the area
of 40th and Quentin, and went on to build tract and custom
homes in other parts of St. Louis Park, Edina, and
The following lists tenants of the shopping center
Mark Toretsky has also compiled a
listing by storefront for the
east side and
west side of Louisiana.
1994 Photo at right courtesy Emory Anderson.
The original Westwood Shopping Center is located at the
southeast corner of the intersection of Cedar Lake Road and
Louisiana Ave. It cost $30,000 to build. Armstrong and Schlicting were the architects, and it was built in the
"California style." The Dispatch reported
that pre-stressed concrete roof channels on a steel girder
made it a fireproof building, the first of its kind in the
area. The parking lot accommodated 150 cars.
The Grand Opening was held on Thursday, September 30, 1954
at 2:00 PM with seven original stores. $3,000 in prizes were
given out, with the grand prize an RCA Victor color TV set.
Free Bonus Bucks were given out by the stores.
Some of the tenants over the years have included:
Abiquiu Nail Studio: 7127 Cedar Lake Road, 1988/89 to
Adair Dance Studio. Opened November 1955
Alla's Faces & Nails: 7127 CLR, 1981/82 to 1984/85.
Aquarium Concepts: 7117 CLR, 1994/95 to 1996/97
Beauty Nails: 7125 Cedar Lake Road, 1999 to present.
Beltone-Certi Ear: 7117 CLR, 1985/86 to 1987/88
Body Mind Connection: 7127 Cedar Lake Road.
1996/97 to 2008/09.
Box Suite: 7117 Cedar Lake Road. 1996/97 to
Bruce Construction Co.: 7123 Cedar Lake Road, 1961/62
Coast-to-Coast Hardware: 7111 Cedar Lake Road.
Grand opening was on October 8, 1969. The owner was
Sol Lederman, who had retired from a music school. It
lasted until 1999/2000; the space was annexed by Snyder Drug.
Edward Jones Investments: 7121 Cedar Lake Road, 2001
to May 2011
Eherenfeldt DT Co. Real Estate & Insurance: 7127 CLR,
1957 to 1958/59.
Elijah's Cup: 7125 Cedar Lake Road, 1985/86 to 1987/88
Family Dollar: 7105 Cedar Lake Road, opened August 19,
Fleur De Lis Beauty Salon: 7123 Cedar Lake Road,
1963 to 1964. 7123 CLR 1964-65.
Giant Food Store: 7105 Cedar Lake Road, 1954 to
1962. Eli Budd was partner manager at the opening
Robert C. Gove & Keith Peterson Lawyer: 7123 CLR,
IGA Food Store (aka Westwood IGA Foodliner): 7105
Cedar Lake Road. In November 1964 the store
congratulated competitor National Food Store on its grand
opening on the west side.
Ike's Smoke N Gift Shop: 7121. September 2011
Janna's Nails: 7127 Cedar Lake Road, 1984/85 to
Karen's Grand Groomers: 7123 Cedar Lake Road. 1980/81
Kenny's Food Market: 7115 Cedar Lake Road.
November 17-19, 1966
to 1972/73. Greenstein & Sons Kosher Meats was in
Kenny's Food Market from 1967 to 1972/73 and then in Rapid
Shop from 1972/73 to 1979/80.
Max and Lou's: 7115 Cedar Lake Road,
April 14, 2006 to 2007/08.
Michele's Beauty Salon: 7123 Cedar Lake Road, 1954 to
1961/62. Virginia Micheline and Mrs.
Fay Hammond ran the salon at the opening in 1954. 7121
Cedar Lake Road, 1961/62 to 1963.
Mr. Kenneth Wigs: 7121 Cedar Lake Road, 1966 to 1967.
Park Coin: 7125 Cedar Lake Road, 1991 to 1993.
Pilgrim Cleaners: 7127 Cedar Lake Road, 1954 to
1956. Sam M. Reis was the manager at the
opening in 1954. 7113 Cedar Lake Road, 1956 to
1974/75. Space was annexed by Coast-to-Coast when
Pilgrim moved to 2314 Louisiana. In 1956 Pilgrim
Cleaners was also at Knollwood at 6408 Minnetonka Blvd.:
"We do mighty fine cleaning."
Pin Drop Hearing: 7127 Cedar Lake Road, 2009 to
Precision Hearing Center: 7117 Cedar Lake Road,
Prout's TV: 7125 CLR, 1995-97
Rainbows End Bakery: 7115 Cedar Lake Road, 1985/86 to
2004/05. Cake decorator Rosalie "Doll" Laboe was a
co-owner. The store began as a sundae shop at
Rapid Shop: 7115 Cedar Lake Road, 1972/73 to 1980/81.
Greenstein & Sons Kosher Meats was in the Rapid Shop from
1972/73 to 1979/80.
Sherm's TV Repair: 7123 Cedar Lake Road, 1970/71 to
Snyder Drug: 7105 Cedar Lake Road, 1980/81 to March
Stern Optical: 7125 Cedar Lake Road. 1987/88 tp
Take N Bake Pizza and Subs: 7123 Cedar Lake Road,
1984/85 to 2002/2003. This was a commercial kitchen used
for the sub business 2002/2003 to 2011 after Take N Bake closed.
The same person owned both businesses.
Tax Shop: 7121 Cedar Lake Road, 1996 to 2001.
Therapeutic Massage (1999)
U.S. Cleaners: 7117 Cedar Lake Road. The name of
this store changed with the price. US $2.29 Cleaners
(2000/2001 to 2004), US $2.79 Cleaners (2004), and then just
Westwood Apparel Shop: 7113 Cedar Lake Road, 1954 to
Armand. W. Micheline, assissted by Mrs. Ruth Martinson ran
the store when it opened in 1954.
Westwood Barber Shop: 1954 to 1985/86. Henry
Currie, assisted by his brother Eugene Currie, ran the shop
when it opened in 1954. Their slogan: "It pays
to look well." In 1967 it was Goody's Westwood
Barber Shop with barbers Goody, Ronnie, or Wayne.
Westwood Beauty: 7121 Cedar Lake Road, 1965 to 1966.
Westwood Chiropractic Center: 7127 Cedar Lake Road,
1961/62 to 1980/81.
Westwood Deli & Superette, 7115 Cedar Lake Road, 1980/81 to
1985/86. Owned by Bob Hanson. A 1981 ad takes a
cue from the Love Boat, depicting the Westwood Princess Deli
Crew: Bob Hanson as the Deli Captain, Rene Fishman as
the Deli Purser, Aaron Mark as the Deli Doctor, and Sam
Plotnick as the Deli Director.
7115 Cedar Lake Road, 1954 to 1965 or
66. Sherman Kassmir
and wife Adeline were the owners at the opening in 1954.
The store originally had a lunch counter.
Lake Road, November 1966 to 1972/73.
Westwood Snyder Drug:
7105 Cedar Lake Road, 1972/73 to 1980/81. Owned by
Conrad "Connie" Solomon and Bob Volk, early to mid- 1960s to
Westwood Foot Clinic: 2301 Louisiana, 1983/84 to
September 10, 2010. Owned by Tom Silver, Podiatrist.
Westwood Giant IGA: 7105 Cedar Lake Road, 1961/62 to
Westwood Hair Design: 7121 Cedar Lake Road, 1976/77 to
Westwood Hardware Shop: 7111 Cedar Lake Road, 1954 to
Carl O.J. and wife Hazel Peterson were co-partners when the
store opened in 1954.
Westwood Medical Building: 2301 Louisiana, 1972/73 to
Westwood Medical Center: 2301 Louisiana, 1954 to 1972/73.
Will's Hair-em: 7121 Cedar Lake Road, 1968 to 1976/76.
The western portion of the shopping center was begun in June
1960 with one building that would house Westwood Liquors and
Little Pigs Barbeque.
H.M. Garber Associates was named developer and leasing
agent. They opened in October and November 1964
Initial plans called for a $600,000 addition
(to the east side) built on five acres of land. Its
40,0000 square feet of store floor space would include a
second supermarket, variety store, apparel stores, and
A 23,000 square foot addition was begun in May 1964.
The Grand Opening of the newly expanded shopping center was
held on November 12-14, 1964 with 18 services and stores,
including a restaurant and a complete medical center.
Radio station KRSI did a two hour live broadcast.
Action Photo: 2312 Louisiana, 1987 to 1999.
Almsted's Super Valu: 2326 Louisiana. November
14, 1997 to September 17, 2011. Owned by Jim Almsted.
Photo courtesy Al Hartman, 2011
American Karate Studio: 2314 Louisiana, 2003/04 to
Bernie's Jubilee: 2326 Louisiana, 1995/96 to 1996/97.
Bernie's Super Valu: 2326 Louisiana, 1985/86 to
1995/96. Owned by Bernard and Brigid Purdy. In
1986 the store was completely destroyed by fire. It
was rebuilt and reopened in the spring of 1987. The
Jewish Family and Children's Service Grocery Bus would bring
senior citizens from around St. Louis Park to Bernie's Super
Valu every Tuesday because Tuesdays were senior citizens day
and they would get a discount on their groceries.
Call That Girl: 2316 Louisiana, 2012
Collections Boutique: 2312 Louisiana, 1980/81 to
David Woo's: 7239 Cedar Lake Road, 1974/75 to 1994.
Dick and Jerris
Fountainbleau Beauty Salon: 2308 Louisiana, November
1964 to 1990, 1992-2000. Initial plans called for
15 operators. The decor was inspired by a palace in Fountainbleu, France and called for a lighted fountain as
the focal point. The Dispatch reported an
innovation of the use of a European method of shampooing.
For Coiffure Tres Magnifique. In 2000, this space was
annexed by Westwood Liquors. See Richard's
Hair Performers: 2308 Louisiana, 1990-92.
Henny Penny Chicken House: 7239 Cedar Lake Road,
November 1964 to 1973/74
Jerry's Do It Best Hardware: 2326 Louisiana, Opened
February 16, 2012
Johnny on the Spot Cleaners: 2314 Louisiana, November 1964
Located next to National Food. Deluxe Sta-Kleen
Process, Cleaning on location. In 1970 the manager was Irene
Jubilee IGA Foods: 2326 Louisiana. 1996-98
Lietzke's Bakery: 2316 Louisiana Ave., C.W. Lietzke,
prop. November 1964 to 1984/85. "Cake Decorating
Little Pigs Barbecue: 7239 Cedar Lake Road, Grand opening March 29-31, 1963.
This was in the original
west building with Westwood Liquors. It closed in
National Tea Food Store/Applebaum's: 2326 Louisiana,
October 1964 to August 1980. Plans called for a new
architectural feature, a post-free construction that would
allow for 100 foot clear span of wood laminated beams.
The Dispatch reported that the store would have a sloping
ceiling and 17 foot high glass show windows. The second week of the Grand
Opening Celebration featured prizes (a Hammond organ and a
Zenith console TV) and the famous "Red Dot Clown" who passed
out free Red Dot samples. In 1980 the FTC ordered
parent owner National Tea to sell the store as a result of
an antitrust violation. An August 20 Minneapolis Star
article stated that the store was to be sold to Fritz Tyra,
who operated two Super Valu stores.
Pilgrim Cleaners: 2314 Louisiana, 1974/75 to 1997.
Pinocchio: 7239 Cedar Lake Road, 1973/74 to 1974/75.
Richard's Fontainebleau Salon: 2308 Louisiana, 1978
Robb's Super Valu: August 1980 to 1985/86. Owned
by Fritz Tyra, Robb and Rhonda Breitenbach.
Sample Rack: 2312 Louisiana. 1972 - December
Formerly the Village Sampler. Became Westwood Sample Shop.
Sichuan: 7239 Cedar Lake Road, 1994 to present.
Tax Shop: 2312 Louisiana, 2001 to present
Top Temporary: 2316 Louisiana, 1997 to April 2011
Video World: 2316 Louisiana, 1985 to 1994. The
store suffered smoke damage from the fire at Bernie's Super
Valu in 1986.
Village Sampler: 2312 Louisiana, November 1964 to
1972. Became the Sample Rack.
Westwood Liquors: 2304 Louisiana, March 1963 to
present. In April 1962, a liquor license was awarded
to James Michael McGilligan, who had operated McGilligan's
Food Market at 5555 W. Lake St. since 1946. The store
had its Grand Opening on Thursday, March 28, 1963. The
ad had a western them and a slogan "The Best in the West."
Westwood Sample Shop: 2312 Louisiana, December 1977 to