The Tingdale Brothers were early real
estate developers in St. Louis Park, Edina, and elsewhere.
The Tingdales were Martin and Rudolph Tingdale.
Martin and Rudolph's brother Andrew, Martin's son Rolf, and
Rudolph's son Robert, also played important parts in the
company. They platted their first subdivision in around 1907
and became the largest operators in suburban and lake shore
property in Minnesota before real estate stopped selling in
the late 1920's. A later subdivision featured four streets
named after the family: Tingdale, Warren, Mildred, and Rolf
Avenues, named after Martin's children. The company's last
subdivision was sold in the late 1940's. Rudolph passed away
About the name: when the Tingdales first came from
Norway, their last name was Rasmussen. They had a store and
used a horse drawn wagon to haul their groceries ice, fuel,
etc. After noticing that so many wagons also displayed the
name Rasmussen, they crafted a new name from their hometown
This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.