The Muzzle Loaders had their
first annual meet in 1932 at the St. Louis Park Sportsmen
Shooting Range. This meet lasted until at least 1947.
The Sportsman’s Club was organized in March 1945 with
46 charter members. Their goal was the conservation of
wildlife to ensure better hunting and fishing in the future.
In 1946 the club supported an effort to restore
but physical and legal obstacles killed the effort.
In 1947 the group met at the Village Hall. That year there
was trap shooting at the Minneapolis Golf Club. John
Schaefer was president of the Sportsman’s Club.
In 1948 , the Sportsman’s Club [Mr. Schafer] established a shooting range
at the abandoned Landers-Morrison-Christenson
between Aquila and Texas.
In 1956-62 the St. Louis Park Sportsman’s Club met at
Ronnie’s Café - Blake Road And Excelsior Ave. in Hopkins.
In 1965, Sun Newspapers started sponsoring the Sportsman’s
Club, which was not specific to St. Louis Park. Meetings
were chock-a-block with sports celebrities like Bud Grant.
Meetings were open to the “adult male public” only.
By 1975 it was the West Suburban Sportsmen’s Club, and
meetings were open to the public. The March 1, 1976 meeting
was emceed by Halsey Hall.
In December 1946, John Bird held field trials for the
Hennepin County Amateur Retriever Club.