The general offices and distribution
center of the Salkin Linoff (S&L) department store chain
moved into 7400 Excelsior Blvd. in
July 1951. The company built a 125,000 sq. ft. warehouse and
20,000 sq. ft. office. The architect was Liebenburg and
Kaplan of Minneapolis.
S&L was started in 1921 in a one-room shop in Elkton, SD by
Russian immigrants Samuel F. Salkin and Joseph Linoff. By
1950 there were 37 stores, similar to J.C. Penney, in the
Midwest. At its peak, the company bought out several chains
and had 360 stores, under many names such as Peck and Peck
(1976), Nina B Boutique, Morey A, Wrangler Wroost, Hurrah!
and Stevenson’s (1956).
In 1990, down to 215 stores, the family-owned company filed
Chapter 11 and sold 94 of its stores. It was also in trouble
with the City for landfill violations. In January 1991, the
last five stores were closed and the assets sold at a
bankruptcy sale at the Excelsior Blvd. warehouse. A bit of
high living was evidenced by the many antiques purchased to
decorate stores. The company also disposed of condos and
apartments in Miami, New York, and London.
This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.