History
About the Historical Society
Research Resources
Brookside Timeline
Something in the Water
The Re-Echo
Contact Us

LUTHERAN CHURCH OF THE REFORMATION
2544 Highway 100 So.

The Lutheran Church of the Reformation began on November 14, 1954, when a group of people interested in establishing an Augustana Lutheran church in the Park met with the Regional Director of the Board of American Missions for the Minnesota Conference. The denomination was formed in 1924 as the Augustana Congregation under Dr. P.A. Mattson.

 

In June 1956 the Board of American Missions purchased 3.8 acres of land at 2544 Highway 100 So. on behalf of the proposed congregation.

 

On March 10, 1957, the first service was held at the St. Louis Park Theater. 197 were in attendance.  The first Sunday School was held on March 31, 1957, with 68 in attendance.

 

Pastor Herman E. Soderberg came to serve as a Board Missionary in the establishing of the church on May 7, 1957.  He became the congregation's first pastor on August 1.

 

The congregation was formally organized on June 16, 1957, with a membership of 204.  Organization Sunday took place at Gethsemane Lutheran Church in Hopkins - 82 people from that church transferred to the new church.

 

The $70,000 building, designed by Hammel and Green, was dedicated on January 4, 1959. In 1961 membership topped 500.

 

In 1962 the Augustana Lutheran Church merged with three other Lutheran bodies.

 

A new church site was dedicated on May 4, 1969, and the new church was dedicated on February 15, 1970.



1980 Photo courtesy Emory Anderson

 


The church closed in January 2014.

 





 

 

This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.