The area that is now commonly known as
Minikahda Vista was once the farm of Christopher
he died in 1903, the land was parceled off among his
children, Charles, Lydia, and Louise. It appears that
subdividing the land into homesites began in the teens. The
family hired John Reid of Wadsworth and Reid to sell the
Hanke's Minikahda Terrace (platted by Charles Hanke on
November 29, 1916), was so named because it overlooked the
Minikahda Golf Course in Minneapolis, which dates back to
1898. Road grading was completed on September 1, 1917. An
undated advertising pamphlet for the new development listed
"Twelve Facts to Consider Carefully." One promised "Building
restrictions of $5,500 to $6,500 to protect your home
investment" - no shacks here. Also no apartments or
duplexes, just single family homes that had to have two
stories. An aerial photo of the area that was the Hanke farm
(between 34th and 36th, France and Joppa) taken in 1931
shows a smattering of houses built in the 20's. 93 houses
now exist in this subdivision.
Minikahda Terrace 2nd Addition was platted on October 6,
1934 by the Hanke family, covering the 3700 blocks of
Huntington, Inglewood, and Joppa. 46 homes now make up this
There was also a Minikahda Heights platted by Dr. John
Watson (Louise Hanke’s husband) on December 30, 1916, but it
was vacated on November 7, 1918.
West Minikahda was platted on April 22, 1925. The
32-lot plat covers the 3700 blocks of France, Glenhurst, and
Hanke's Replat was recorded on July 9, 1923 by Lydia Hanke,
clearing the way for lots on the south side of Excelsior
Blvd. to be sold. It now contains 8 properties
Minikahda Park consists of 13 houses on the 3700 blocks of
Huntington, Inglewood, and Joppa. It was platted on May 8,
Minikahda Vista St. Louis Park consists of 247 properties on
the 3800 blocks of Joppa to Quentin, Excelsior Blvd. and
Vallacher. It was platted on June 12, 1925.
Minikahda Vista 2nd Addition runs along 36-1/2 Street from
Kipling to Monterey, encompassing 28 sites. It was platted
on August 6, 1925.
And then there’s Minikahda Oaks, on the other side of
Excelsior, from Randall to Excelsior, France to Inglewood.
These 86 homes are surrounded by the golf course, a former
sand and gravel pit, Bass Lake Preserve, and Al’s Bar.
It was platted on July 22, 1926.