The 36-room Minikahda Motor Lodge was built at 3924
Excelsior Blvd., next to Al's Liquors, in 1958. The
developer was Oscar J. Husby.
The coffee shop was built as the Excelsior Embers
A one-pump Falcon gas station sat in the parking
lot starting in 1966.
In 1968 it became the Ambassador Motor Lodge East, a sister
motel to the Ambassador Resort Motor Hotel at 5225 Wayzata
In about 1976, the Rasmussen family came to work at the
motel: Mary as resident manager, Anita (Mary’s mother) as
head housekeeper, Del (Mary’s father) as chief of
maintenance, and Joanne (Mary’s sister) on the housekeeping
At some point the motel was willed to St. Olaf College.
In 1981, still the Ambassador East, it was bought by Bonnie
Adams and a silent financial partner. Bonnie changed the
name to the American Inn and it became a Best Western motel.
Adams (later Bonnie Crouch) refurbished and renovated the
motel, which had become pretty run down.
In June 1998, records show that it was purchased by Midwest
Hospitality, Inc. for $815,000.
The St. Louis Park Economic Development Authority bought the
property in November 2009 for $750,000 for future
development, and demolished it in January 2010. The
photo below is by Seth Rowe of the Sun Sailor.