Manhattan Park School was built in
1895. Manhattan Park is a neighborhood in Fern Hill near
France Avenue where Minneapolis and St. Louis Park meet. As
best we can tell, the
school was located on 31st Street between Inglewood and
Glenhurst, and between Highway 7 and the railroad tracks.
Back in the earliest
days of the Park, the residents there felt that the two
existing elementary schools, Pratt
and Lincoln, were too far
away for their children to walk to. When the streetcar
company refused a petition for free rides to school for the
kids, the people of this neighborhood offered to erect a
building 16' x 22' x 12' high if the School Board would
furnish fuel, furniture and a teacher. [variously, the
school may have been built by Theodore Curtis of the Curtis
Hotel.] It was a square, red brick building with one
classroom that was heated by a stove. The School Board came
through with a teacher, one of the first being
This early school held five grades in one room.
The school was phased out when Fern Hill was built in 1905.
For some reason it is not listed as a part of the village's
school district, which was organized in 1888.
This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.