In 1950 there was no St. Louis Park
Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees), although three residents of
the Park were on the Minnesota State Board.
The St. Louis Park Jaycees was chartered on October 5, 1954. Charter
members included Gene Schadow (first president), Bert R.
Jones, Herb Davis, Walter Griffin, and Ted Dietrick. The
group met in a rented room behind the office and showroom of
Rutherford Garden Machines next to Miracle Mile. In 1957,
Bert Jones was named “Outstanding Young Man” at age 23.
In a time when only men qualified to join the Jaycees, their
spouses organized the “Mrs. Jaycees” in the spring of 1955
by 28 charter members. The purpose of the group was to
promote civic, educational, and recreational activities of
the community, to provide social and recreational activities
for the members, and to cooperate with the Park Junior
Chamber of Commerce in every way possible. Projects aided
needy children and families, on a case-by-case basis and
through the Elliott Park House, the Community Center, and
Methodist Hospital. With their husbands, the women attended
many dinner dances and other social activities.
This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.