Shorty Dale is remembered as the
father of Little League in St. Louis Park.
Elmer “Shorty” Dale was born on February 14, 1908 in
Lebanon, SD. He came to St. Louis Park from Frankfurt, SD in
1923. In 1924 he joined the service and by 1959 he was a Lt.
Colonel in the National Guard. At some point he played
semi-pro baseball and tried out for the St. Louis Cardinals
but was rejected for being too small (he stood 5'4"). After completing training at Dunwoody in construction
engineering and highway surveying, he became an engineer for NSP in 1934, retiring in 1969. He and his wife Ruth had six
boys and two girls, and lived at 4513 Minnetonka Blvd.
Shorty had been the chairman of the athletic committee of
recreation, as well as on the village's planning committee
in 1952. It was due to Shorty’s efforts that Little League
was established in the Park, especially honchoing the
establishment of Skippy Field in 1952. In the 1960s he was
a much-loved warming house supervisor at Brookside/Jackley
Park. In 1971 he was the recipient of the Viking Ring Award.
He started seriously losing his eyesight in 1974. At the
time he was vehemently against allowing girls in organized
sports, feeling that they wouldn’t stick with it. He died on
May 27, 1975 at Veterans Hospital. At the time of his death
his address was 3260 Yosemite Ave.
This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.