What we know about Cedar Lake Road is
sketchy. See also CLR buildings. Please
contact us if you have an additions or corrections.
Cedar Lake Road is apparently quite old, as evidenced by its
irregular path through the City. Before a realignment,
it actually did go to Cedar Lake, which is east in
Minneapolis. It was a major thoroughfare but was used
less when Highway 12 was built between Highway 100 and
North Side School, which became Eliot, was first built
in 1885. It burned down in 1926, and Eliot was built
that same year.
The 1914 plat map shows Cedar Lake Road labeled "Cedar Lake
Road or Minnetonka Blvd," which is odd since the actual
Minnetonka Blvd. is also clearly on the map. On other
stretches it is simply called Cedar Lake Road.
At one time the Coty perfune Co. had owned 9+ acres of land
at Cedar Lake Road just west of Highway 100.
Wooden bridge over the Burlington Northern tracks on Cedar
Lake Road by the Jewish Community Center. Photo
courtesy SLP Engineering Department, spring 1950.
Bridge has been replaced with a pedestrian bridge.
A June 26, 1952 article in the Dispatch outlined a
plan to eliminate the at-grade intersection of Cedar Lake
Road and Highway 100. The plan was to loop CLR under
the Great Northern railway bridge about 300 feet sough of
the intersection, which had been the source of several
deadly accidents. CLR traffic would also use the loop
to cross the highway. In the meantime, a two-foot,
raised concrete island was built to divide Highway 100 into
two two-lane roadways to prevent left-hand turns.
The first commercial property on Cedar Lake Road was Cities
Service Oil Co., located at the northeast corner of CLR and
Louisiana Ave. (7120 CLR), built
Traffic lights were installed at Cedar Lake Road and
Louisiana in 1968.
In 1962, Bruce Construction Co. built a 61-unit apartment
building at 7316 Cedar Lake Road for Sidal Realty.
In 1963 Bruce Construction Co. built the 68-unit
Westwood Gardens apartment building at 7307/7321 Cedar Lake
Road. The site had formerly been a
Landers-Norblom-Christenson gravel pit.
In 1963, Mrs. Ray Olson of 1632 Princeton opposed the
closing of the Cedar Lake Road bridge over the Great
A Hennepin County Highway map from 1969 identifies the road
as County Road 16 for the entire length of St. Louis Park.
We do not know if it was a county road from the beginning,
or whether it is still a county road.
In 1970, the county proposed making the stretch between
Highway 100 and Louisiana a four-lane "collector road," with
the remaining stretch to Highway 18 (now 169) to be widened
later. The proposal was met with vociferous opposition
from almost everyone and was quickly dropped. The city
also sought to "assume full control of Cedar Lake Road,"
according to City Council minutes.
Hurd Park was named for
Carroll Hurd, Rotarian and former Mayor of St. Louis
Park. It is located north of Cedar Lake Road between Nevada
and Pennsylvania Avenues. The dedication took place on
September 27, 1976.
This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.