THE BRICK BLOCK ON WALKER STREET
In an effort to create what had
heretofore been a nonexistent downtown for the nascent St.
Louis Park, village leaders Hamilton and
Walker built two
opposing buildings on a street they called Broadway, now
called Walker Street. There were storefronts below and
offices above. Nowadays one might call it an economic
development incubator, providing reasonably priced and sized
spaces for small companies to carry out their businesses until
they moved on to larger spaces. The
Hamilton Building is
gone, but the Walker Building is still home to small
businesses that don’t rely on a lot of street traffic. For
try as they might, Walker and his associates never managed
to create that elusive Downtown St. Louis Park.
The aerial above from 1922 shows the Walker Building (left) facing the Hamilton Building (right). Between them is Walker Street. The diagonal street behind the Walker Building was Louisiana Ave., now renamed Library Lane. Photo courtesy Minnesota Historical Society.
Above is a snippet of a photo taken in 1954, again with the Walker Building above facing the Hamilton Building below.
This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.