Dr. Glenn D. Braatz was one of, if not
the first chiropractor to practice in St. Louis Park, and
maintained a presence here for 35 years.
Braatz was a native of Wisconsin who graduated from Hopkins and took his
training at the Logan School of Chiropractic in St. Louis.
He came to St. Louis Park and practiced briefly from his
home, then served in the Army during the Korean War. In
September 1953 he set up practice in the Excel Building in
Miracle Mile. While practicing in Miracle Mile he met
his wife, who worked at York’s Frocks.
In about 1957 he moved to Joe Billman’s new office building,
formerly the site of Lilac Way Mortuary and then La Miracle
Dining. Dr. Braatz started out on the first floor but moved
to larger quarters as he took over half of the second floor.
He stayed at the Wooddale Professional Building until it was
demolished in 1988. It was then that he sold his practice to
Dr. Jeff Schramm and went into semi-retirement, returning to
assist Dr. Schramm during the summer.
Dr. Braatz is perhaps the first chiropractor in the Park,
and when asked why there are so many chiropractors in St.
Louis Park, he said that Northwestern College was producing
interns who had to go somewhere, so many of them went to him
Dr. Braatz was an active member of the Rotary and also
participated in the Elks downtown.
This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.