History
About the Historical Society
Research Resources
Brookside Timeline
Something in the Water
The Re-Echo
Contact Us

 THE BEEHIVE


The three-family fireplace commonly called the Beehive was built in 1939 at the Highway 100 Roadside park that was originally called Lilac Park.  See Highway 100's Roadside Parks for complete information about the roadside parks.


Plans for the construction of the beehive, 1937.

 

The beehive was the cornerstone of Lilac Park for decades with its distinctive shape and its ability to accommodate three picnicing families at once. 

 

1939

 

 

In 1968, Lilac Park was bifurcated by an on-ramp to the highway, and Lilac Park declined.  The park could no longer be accessed from the highway, and the grade from Toledo Ave. was steep.  The Beehive fell into disrepair.

 

2006

 

In 2008, the Beehive was moved to the Highway 100 Roadside Park at Highway 7, now known as the new Lilac Park.  It was dedicated at the new Lilac Park on July 13, 2009.

 

2009

 

 

 


 

`Th

This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.