THE BEEHIVE AND THE NEW LILAC PARK
The three-family fireplace commonly called the Beehive was
built in 1939 at the Highway 100 Roadside park that was
originally called Lilac Park. See
Highway 100's Roadside Parks
for complete information about the roadside parks.
Plans for the construction of the beehive, 1937.
The beehive was the cornerstone of Lilac Park for decades with its distinctive shape and its ability to accommodate three picnicing families at once.
In 1968 Lilac Park was bifurcated by an on-ramp to the highway, and Lilac Park declined. The park could no longer be accessed from the highway, and the grade from Toledo Ave. was steep. The Beehive fell into disrepair.
In 2008, the Beehive was moved to the Highway 100 Roadside Park at Highway 7, now known as the new Lilac Park. It was dedicated at the new Lilac Park on July 13, 2009.
2009 Dedication with Mayor Jacobs
The pictures and resources below
tell the story of the move and the history of Highway 100
and its roadside parks.
Click here for a story about the move of the beehive in the StarTribune dated October 8, 2008.
Click here to see the City's award in the Minnesota Pride Competition.
Click here for photos of the beehive being prepared for the move and its arrival at the new Lilac Park (Highway 7).
Click here for a Public Service Announcement about the move of the Beehive. (Donations are no longer being sought for this project).
OTHER RESOURCES ABOUT HIGHWAY 100
Click here for a 30 minute documentary about Lilac Way produced by TPT.
This information comes from a variety of sources: newspapers, books, yearbooks, phone directories, interviews, etc. Given the varied sources, we cannot guarantee that all of this information is correct, and welcome any additions and corrections. Please contact us with your contributions and comments.